Monday, 25 May 2015

Book: Becoming Alpha by Aileen Erin

Title: Becoming Alpha
Series: Alpha Girl (#1)
Author: Aileen Erin
From: Netgalley
Genre: Paranormal, Urban Fantasy, Romance, Young Adult
Release Date: 17th December 2013
Challenges: 2015 Reading Assignment Challenge, 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Tessa has never been normal. She has Bruja blood meaning that when she touches people or objects with her bare hands she gets visions. With her family deciding to move to Texas she looks forward to the fresh start, but when one kiss at a party changes her life forever she finds herself thrown into the world of werewolves and the other supernatural. What's more the pull she feels towards the wolf that bit her, Dastien, makes her life even more confusing...

I was a little wary of Becoming Alpha after discovering that Lola @ Lola's Reviews didn't enjoy it, but it was on my 2015HW list so if I didn't want to fail the challenge I was going to have to give it a go. And I'm glad I did, I actually really enjoyed Becoming Alpha and its seamless blend between the paranormal and coming of age plot line.

Becoming Alpha definitely provided an interesting lore surrounding werewolves and the supernatural. Pack hierarchy played a big part in the story and I found it interesting how Tessa was interacting with certain very Alpha characters (not just Dastien) and it has caused me to form some theories about her eventual place in the pack. Because Tessa was new to being a werewolf it meant that the reader learnt along with her and for the most part she was discovering things by doing rather than being told which was both interesting and different.

Romance did play a part in Becoming Alpha and I was prepared for the classic 'mate' approach. But Becoming Alpha did supply something a little different to that. Yes there was the whole mate approach used, but the way that both Tessa and Dastien approached it made it much less cliché. Tessa accepted that she was attracted to, and drawn to, Dastien, but didn't accept him straight off. Dastien held back knowing that she needed time to aclimatise, and they actually spent time gettting to know each other. There wasn't any opposites attract thing, they actually had quite a lot in common.

I also liked the fact that Tessa wasn't totally ok with the fact she woke up as a werewolf. There was quite a lot of denial going on and even towards the end of the book she hadn't completely accepted her wolf. Without giving any quite big plot parts away I don't think I can completely describe Tessa's relationship with her wolf, but it was definitely complex.

There were also the tensions and friendships that you would expect in a school setting, and I really liked the way that Tessa didn't make instant friends, she was wary but did find good ones in the end. Not only that but there were people in her group of friends that she didn't get on with that well and she had enemies. It felt like a normal teenage girl. More than that though was that she was treated like a teenage girl rather than the answer to all problems.

I enjoyed Becoming Alpha and I'm looking forward to continueing the story.