Wednesday, 13 May 2015

Book: Valhalla by Mandy M Roth

Book: Valhalla
Series: Vampyre Productions (#2)
Author: Mandy M Roth
From: Review Request
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Romance, Time Travel
Release Date: July 2004
Challenges: 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Linnea is a Valkyrie, but even then she is special. She has an uncanny ability to track gifted mortals who she travels through time to collect for the Valkyrie army, to fight the apocalypse when it happens. Sent to medieval Scotland, she meets Kerr, a man that changes her life forever. But he isn't the only one...Linnea also meets Gregorious in Ancient Rome and Lucha in Italy, both of whom have a profound effect on her life...

I loved Valhalla! Even more so because it gave background to The Valkyrie. Though this works as a kind of prequel, I do think reading it second is the right way to go, things slot into place that would have ruined the flow of The Valkyrie if I'd read Valhalla first.

Valhalla does give a completely new meaning to love triangle though. This is more like a love square! There's Linnea/Valerie (same person different name) and then the three men, Kerr, Lucha and Gregory. Personally my mind was already made up as to which of the three I wanted Linnea to end up with (and as the story is not finished I have no idea if that is right) and interestingly I found that Valhalla did not change my mind. Each of Linnea's relationships was unique (and didn't really happen at the same time) and that complicated things!

I loved the complex lore involved in Valhalla and the series in general. This was particularly the case with the various supernatural creatures being able to be turned into vampires themselves like Linnea was. I'm not sure where that left the idea of true mates, but it was all interesting and woven into the story in a way that really grabbed my attention.

Linnea herself was a strong character, as she was in The Valkyrie, though in a completely different way. Whereas in The Valkyrie she was strong mentally, she had the added advantage of being pretty kick ass in Valhalla as well, it made it enjoyable and entertaining, particularly when she handed it to men.

I really enjoyed learning more about Linnea, Kerr, Gregory and Lucha, and want to know more!