Friday, 19 June 2015

Book: Silevethiel by Andi O'Connor

Title: Silevethiel
Series: Vaelinel Trilogy (#1)
Author: Andi O'Connor
From: Netgalley
Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: 24th December 2013
Challenges: 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2015 Reading Assingnment Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

When Irewen's father is murdered her cousin, Elthrad sends her to seek the protection of the Wood Elves, only to have his men betray her and leave her for dead. Found by the Wood Elf Prince, Laegon and his Guardian companion, Brégen (a lion), just in time, they nurse Irewen back to health, only to realise that she is much more pivotal in the greater scheme of things than either of them anticipated...

I enjoyed Silevethiel but unfortunately for me something just didn't quite click for me. I can't really explain it and it wasn't a big enough thing for me to want to stop reading, but rather just something that led me to be a bit distracted in places and start reading other books. Part of this could have been simply down to the formatting of the copy provided by Netgalley, for some reason odd words were linked together and there wasn't classical speech marks used rather a system using a dash to start the speech and two lines to end it.

The romance between Irewen and Laegon fell a little bit flat for me. It wasn't that I didn't think that they could fall in love, because actually I thought they were quite similar in character and actually they spent a lot of time together. However neither of them really explored exactly what it was that they felt about each other and seemed to realise that the other loved them without any real show or tell of it. Unless I missed something, which is possible!

One of the best bits of this book was Brégen. He was comic relief in his interactions with Laegon. There was always some smart comment or joke coming from the lion and he made me laugh a few times. Though he was also highly loyal and would do anything to protect Laegon and his friends. I also thought it was really sweet that there were a few hints of romance between him and the lioness Silevethiel.

The interactions between the Protectors (Elves) and the Guardians (Lions) was a central part of the plot and was an intricacy that was well explained and highly intrigueing. It made the story very interesting. This went along with political intrigue and some action scenes. I thought that those two concepts were really what moved the book along more than anything else.

I enjoyed Silevethiel but it did miss that special something for me. However I can see how it would appeal to other readers more.