Saturday, 18 July 2015

Bruja by Aileen Erin

Title: Bruja
Series: Alpha Girl (#4)
Author: Aileen Erin
From: Amazon
Genre: Paranormal, YA
Release Date: 12th May 2015
Challenges: 2015 New Release Challenge, COYER Scavenger Hunt, 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Having left her Coven and the oppressive dark rule of Luciana, Claudia's problems are far from over. Still bonded to Luciana, her power is being drained and her future in jeopardy. Travelling to Peru she meets Lucas. The last thing that Claudia expected was to meet her soul mate while looking for the White Mages who could save her Coven and the Pack.

I love this series! Once again the latest installment had me completely enthralled in the lives of Tess and her Pack and her family. Unlike the other books, Bruja was narrated by Claudia rather than by Tess and I was a little worried that I wouldn't enjoy it as much, but I was wrong. I liked Claudia's perspective.

I half expected the story to jump right into Claudia's journey to Peru, even though she didn't seem too keen on the idea to begin with. Instead the book took time to explain more about magic (which Tessa has been slowly learning about) and how Bruja Covens work. It was interesting and added more depth to the story, as well as justifying Claudia's trip.

I liked that Lucas was patient with Claudia, and that something grew between them slowly. Claudia wasn't really denying that there was anything between them, but she doesn't jump into anything, it worked really well, particularly because the past books had already explained the mate bond it added something else.

I liked learning more about Claudia as well, she has been a fairly minor character in the previous books as Tess' cousin, so in this one when she took more of a centre stage it was like she was being properly introduced. Despite their differences she clearly cared deeply about Tess, and about her brother and her coven.

I love this series, I can't wait for more from Alpha Girl, this has been a great series!