Saturday, 25 July 2015

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling

Title: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Series: Harry Potter (#1)
Author: JK Rowling
From: Our Family Book Shelves!
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult
Release Date: 30th June 1997
Challenges: My TBR List (July), COYER Scavenger Hunt
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Harry Potter has been brought up by his Aunt and Uncle for the past 10 years; a life made of basic dinners, hand me downs and his cousin Dudley's bullying. But on his 11th birthday everything changes and he discovers that he is a Wizard. Now enrolled in Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry, he becomes friends with Ron and Hermione and embarks on a new adventure!

I think that's one of the hardest summaries I've ever had to write, there's just something really tricky about writing it on a book that everyone knows the story to! Anyway, the update! Because of my internet failures I never posted my TBR info on the blog earlier this month, but Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was the winner! I wanted to re-read something this month from when I was younger, and the other two choices were The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot and Cirque du Freak by Darren Shan.

I don't think I've actually read any of the Harry Potter books in years and I was actually really excited to re-read this, and it didn't disappoint. I was just as sucked into Harry's world as I was the other times I read it, and I was amazed at just how much there was that I'd forgotten about or not noticed. Interestingly I did think of some questions that I didn't when I was younger...for example, do students pay to attend Hogwarts?!?!?

I found it really interesting reading now that the film is out, there were some lines and some moments where I could hear the actors voices instead of the ones in my head, and similarly in some scenes I felt like I could hear the music playing. I think that does say something both for the power of the book and the film.

There is definitely some comfort in knowing the way in which a book will end, but I loved discovering the little details I'd forgotten. I have a feeling I'll be revisiting the other books at some point soon too!

MyTBRList