Sunday, 5 July 2015

Heart of Vengeance by Tracy Cooper-Posey

Title: Heart of Vengeance
Series: Jewels of Tomorrow (#2)
Author: Tracy Cooper-Posey
From: Netgalley
Genre: Historical Romance
Release Date: 15th July 2010
Challenges: 2015 Reading Assignment Challenge, 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, COYER Scavenger Hunt, 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Helena of York has one goal in mind; to find her father's murderer and clear the family name. When Stephen, Count of Dinan, is introduced to Isobel of Britany (Helena in disguise), he knows that isn't truely who she is but there is something about her that makes him trust her. Thrown together over the course of events, the feelings between them continue to grow, until they take them places where Stephen had never imagined.

Heart of Vengeance was a strange read for me. It took me a while to get into it (as in 40% or so) but I mostly put that down to my mood because after that I just didn't want to stop reading. I would prefer it like that than the other way though!

I really liked the way that Prince John, King Richard and Robin Hood/Robert of Loxely were brought into the story, I do feel that Robin Hood is one of the legends that isn't given enough cover. But at the same time those characters were very much a back plot, and the plight of Helena and Stephen was definitely the main plot.

I liked the romance between the two characters. They admitted their attraction to each other but at the same time they didn't just jump on each other. More there was a slow assessment of whether or not it was a good idea, and whether or not society would permit it. I liked that they were progressive but still managed to stick with the times.

Helena was a ridicolously strong female character. She had her moments when her emotions got the better of her, but for the most part she knew what she wanted and did what she had to to get it. I truely felt that she was a well rounded and believable character.

I really enjoyed Heart of Vengeance!