Wednesday, 22 July 2015

Rise of the King by Mandy M Roth

Title: Rise of the King
Series: King of Prey (#4)
Author: Mandy M Roth
From: Review Copy
Genre: Paranormal, Romance
Release Date: 30th November 2012
Challenges: COYER Scavenger Hunt, 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (1 point)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Having  been branded a traitor by his people, Lazar has yet to gain acceptance from his new people. Saddened by the idea that his mate is dead, something he has believed for the past 20 years, he is surprised when he follows his friend Gardelle and finds his niece Sabrina is the very mate he believed was dead. But his brother, and the rival King, has been around her, causing Lazar to become protective of his mate...

Rise of the King really added more to the King of Prey series. The story has been gradually revving up throughout the past three books and then in this one there were several reveals that had a big impact on the story. I was somewhat surprised at some of them but I liked the direction that those reveals took the story.

I really liked the fact that Rise of the King didn't just tell Lazar and Sabrina's story but actually went as far as to touch on a potential romance for a future book (or at least I hope so because I loved the banter between Gardelle and Lisa! They were definitely funny).

Sabrina and Lazar had good chemistry, but their romance also added more to the lore that was introduced in the previous books about mates, particularly surrounding their dreams. I like it when books that could be read as stand alones add more to the world and the background.

The only thing that disappointed me slightly is that I really wanted a female shifter! But really that is very minor and I just like having strong female characters so often!