Tuesday, 21 July 2015

Sia by Josh Grayson

Title: Sia
Author: Josh Grayson
From: Netgalley
Genre: Young Adult
Release Date: 20th November 2013
Challenges: 2015 Reading Assignment Challenge, 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, COYER Scavenger Hunt
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Sia wakes up on a park bench with no recollection of her former life, only a name which is on her ipod. For over a week she lives on the streets, learning from a homeless woman called Carol. When she is found she returns to her old life, only to realise that she doesn't like the person that she was before. Determined to prove to everyone that she has changed she teams up with one of the 'loser' kids, Kyle, to fundraise, all while fixing the problems she has at home.

Sia was a strange one, I'm not totally sure where to start with my review. I loved this book while reading, it had me engrossed and didn't want to put it down. But then the ending kind of let me down. I didn't feel that it lived up to the rest of the book which just made me feel disappointed.

As a character I liked Sia. Though she couldn't remember who she was she was determined not to let that get her down. She had a strength that was admirable as well as good for the story. I also really felt like Sia went on a journey. Whereas often this kind of YA book is more subtle, because of Sia's memory loss the journey was far more prominent.

The other characters were definitely what could be termed as stereotypes, but I think that it worked, particularly when Sia started looking at things objectively and how she had been treating the others around her. I thought it was a highly accurate look at schools and hierarchies.

I also liked the realistic relationship that Sia seemed to have with her parents. And that when it came to their problems at home there was an actual solution and the family unit worked through it. Often home problems are glossed over but not in this book!

For the most part I really enjoyed Sia, it was just the ending that let it down for me.