Tuesday, 14 July 2015

The Espionage Effect by Kat Bastion & Stone Bastion

Title: The Espionage Effect
Authors: Kat Bastion & Stone Bastion
From: Review Copy
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Release Date: 14th July 2015
Challenges: 2015 New Release Challenge, 2015 Summer COYER Scavenger Hunt
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Since her sister's abduction when they were small, Devin has felt that her parents retracted the love and she was forced to compartmentalize her life. Convinced to go on holiday with her best friend Anna, one too many coincidences lead her to Alec, a spy looking into the plots of a local mastermind. Devin is determined to prove her worth, to herself and to Alec. Putting her analytical mind to work, Devin helps Alec to investigate...

I was really excited about another Kat & Stone Bastion book, even if it was one from a genre that I barely ever read. I do think that not being a massive reader of genre impacted my enjoyment of the book a little bit, because though I did enjoy reading I didn't feel that I connected as much with Devin and Alec as I did with Cade and Hannah from No Weddings.

The chemistry sizzled between Devin and Alec, the Bastions certainly know how to write great chemistry, but what I really liked was the fact that the characters were able to focus on other things. It moved the story along faster than if they'd just concentrated on the sex.

The mystery unraveled slowly, with it never being truly clear who was behind what, or who was guilty, until it was actually revealed. Even when the main mystery was revealed, there was another one that I hadn't even realised was about.

The cast of the book was small, which allowed the focus to rest on Alec and Devin's relationship and their investigation. I liked that the book wasn't overwhelmed with characters, it kept the focus and the suspense going. This was also helped by the first person POV, which kept the reader in the dark about some things!

I enjoyed The Espionage Effect, even if I didn't enjoy it quite so much as I enjoyed No Weddings! But it is a completely different genre (thought there were several humerus moments still!)