Tuesday, 4 August 2015

Igniting Ash by M A Stacie

Title: Igniting Ash
Author: M A Stacie
From: Review Copy
Genre: Romance, Contemporary
Release Date: 4th August 2015
Challenges: 2015 New Release Challenge, COYER Scavenger Hunt
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Asher struggled growing up, and has been left permanently scarred by his past. But one act of kindness from a girl named Emma changed his life forever. 10 years on and when neither of them expect it, Asher and Emma meet again, and something sparks between them. With both of their lives having a taken it's direction that night ten years ago, they find themselves thrown together in unexpected ways, and experiencing a connection like no other...

Wow. Just wow. I'm finding it really hard to find the words to sum up Igniting Ash, it was one of those stories that just moved me for so many reasons that I don't really know where to begin when telling my thoughts. There are some tricky topics navigated in the book, including domestic abuse towards children, but I thought that Stacie dealt with those subjects in a way that made them real, horrifying and not insurmountable.

I loved the progressing relationship between Emma and Asher. Yes there was definitely chemistry there from the offset, but they spent at least half of the book establishing a friendship between them without the interruption of sex. And it worked! Especially with the effect that Asher's past had on him, and I liked seeing it progress at a normal rate.

There were several side characters in the story, for good and for bad, and the most notable was Gabe. He seemed to have a good affect on both Emma and Asher but in different ways, and really helped show Emma's caring side. What I liked best about Gabe though was that as the book progressed the reader got to know him better at the same rate that the characters did, he was introduced to them both in the course of the story and again this worked.

I read some of Igniting Ash with a lump in my throat. The story was so moving and so raw that it just felt right. I loved every minute!