Monday, 10 August 2015

The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid

Title: The Mermaids Singing
Series: Tony Hill & Carol Jordan (#1)
Author: Val McDermid
From: Amazon
Genre: Crime
Release Date: 17th June 2002
Challenges: COYER Scavenger Hunt
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Tony Hill is a Criminal Profiler, and after another body is found in Bradfield, John Brandon feels he has no option but to bring him on board the murder team. DI Carol Jordan is convinced that Bradfield has a serial killer, even if some of her superiors think differently. Now appointed liason with Dr Hill, she begins to see the bigger picture. Meanwhile the killer has found their next victim and has started to stalk him and prepare his punishment, convinced that nothing can be done to stop them.

The Mermaids Singing is a book that I first read ages ago, but I wanted to get back into crime books, and one that I enjoyed was the way to do it. I was completely right to do it! Though I'd read The Mermaids Singing before it completely sucked me in, though I remembered a bit of the plot, the minor details were new to me once more.

One thing that did strike me was that actually there were several details that people had figured out a lot earlier in the book than I realised (though still quite late into the book, if that makes sense!) It's the kind of thing that you'd only notice if you knew who the killer was already. I don't remember the rest of the series that I've already read as much, so I'm interested to see what rereading those is going to be like!

Reading parts of the book from the killer's point of view was interesting. It helped paint a picture of what was really happening with the deaths, whereas the police were in part a little clueless. But there was also clues as to how they got caught.

The crime solving process that Tony and Carol used was fascinating, both in the profiling and the policicng. I liked seeing how they pieced the whole thing together even if the first time I didn't manage to put the pieces together until they did!

I really enjoyed rereading this one, and I'm looking forward to revisiting Carol and Tony in their other books (and reading the ones I haven't read yet!)