Wednesday, 23 September 2015

Chasing Evil by Kylie Brant

Title: Chasing Evil
Series: Circle of Evil (#1)
Author: Kylie Brant
From: Netgalley
Genre: Crime, Suspense
Release Date: 20th October 2015 (re-release)
Challenges: 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge 
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

When the bodies of dead women are found in graves that aren't theirs, Agent Cam Prescott and forensic psychologist, Sophia Channing, are called in to try and catch the guy behind it. Attempting to work together, despite their previous brief relationship, they are tested to the limit trying to find the man behind the murders and when Sophia mysteriously vanishes Cam has his work cut out to find her before it's too late.

Wow. I absolutely loved Chasing Evil, it was engaging and really made me want to keep reading. To me there was only one real issue with it, and that was that the ending seemed to just stop. Though that has made me want to read book 2, so maybe it did it's job!

I liked that things weren't simple for Cam and Sophia, it was clear that they (well mainly Sophia) didn't know how they felt about each other, and having their previous relationship as part of the chapter openings worked well to show how they were together. I'm looking forward to seeing how the two of them interact in the future.

The suspense was consistent all the way through Chasing Evil, and it really kept my attention. I also liked that it wasn't just from Cam's side, hunting down Sophia, but from Sophia's as well. I also liked that Sophia, though scared, didn't admit defeat and was just as focused on getting out of her situation as Cam was in finding her.

The crime aspect, and the murders, were actually quite disturbing, and had clearly been thought out well (not sure what that says about the author there!) and played a part in the story. Though the murderer wasn't revealed early on, there was some parts of the story from his perspective, which I thought added to the sense of danger.

Chasing Evil was a very enjoyable read, and I am looking forward to continueing the story soon!