Wednesday, 30 September 2015

Clean Break by Val McDermid

Title: Clean Break
Series: Kate Brannigan (#4)
Author: Val McDermid
From: My Physical Bookshelf
Genre: Crime
Release Date: 18th March 2003
Challenges: N/A
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 

When Private Investigator and co-chief of a security firm, Kate Brannigan, is called by one of her clients to look into the robbery of a Monet from his country home, it takes her on a journey across Europe and links the theft to a spate of other robberies across the UK. Meanwhile a large cleaning chemical company are struggling to discover the culprit of  death caused by one of their products, and call Kate in to find out the truth...

I enjoyed Clean Break, but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I enjoyed other works by Val McDermid. I'm not sure if that was because the others were more murder related, because Clean Break used a first person narrative, or just because of the mood I was in at the time (which is possible really!)

Kate was a good character, though she didn't always think things through, and I liked that there was a flaw in her personality, it made her more likeable. Interestingly as well was the fact that she wasn't a member of the police force, and as such wasn't quite confined by the rules like officers are.

I also liked that there were bits of Kate's real life in the book, particularly her relationship with Richard, and her friendships with the other people she worked with. It gave her more of a personality and really pushed through the book.

I enjoyed Clean Break, and I do look forward to reading more McDermid!