Sunday, 6 September 2015

Concealed Power by K J Colt

Title: Concealed Power
Series: The Healers of Meligna (#1)
Author: K J Colt
From: Amazon
Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: 4th June 2013
Challenges:  COYER Scavenger Hunt
Links: GoodreadsAmazon

Adenine has been kept inside her whole life, having been told that she is one of the last carriers of the Death Plague. But when her Uncle tries to harm her age 10, her whole life changes and her father is hanged for murder. Told that she scolded her eyes with boiling water, but not remembering the incident, Adenine learns to navigate her world blind. But now one of the Healers of Melinga is in her town and have suspicions about Adenine and her blindness.

Where to even start with this one! Chronologically Bear Heart (and the second book in Klawdia’s story) comes well before Concealed Power and I did read it first as well. Though I do think that that gave me a better grasp on Klawdia’s character, I don’t think that it was necessary to the story told in Concealed Power. It just adds something else!


Adenine was an interesting character. 10 at the beginning of the book, and nearly 14 at the end, she is younger than the protagonists are normally in books, but for her age she was mature (as she was likely to be growing up in a purely adult environment) and her world in general meant that she appeared older. 

I still have a lot of questions about the magic system in Concealed Power, though I do feel that the reader is learning about many things at the same point that Adenine is, which makes the lack of knowledge understandable and work well with the story as a whole. What is revealed in Concealed Power is interesting and definitely hints at a unique angle. 

There were several side characters that took on a great deal of importance in the story, Jemely particularly really went on a journey; both as a character herself and in the way that Adenine saw her. I also liked the inclusion of Butter, and the way that that demonstrated people's bonds with their animals. Particularly considering that Adenine was blind. 

Concealed Power is a strange one, I don't think that I would have necessarily picked this one up on my own, but having been exposed to the author decided to give it a go and I am very glad that I did!