Monday, 28 September 2015

Concubine by Travis Luedke

Title: Concubine
Series: Angel 6.0 (#1)
Author: Travis Luedke
From: Amazon
Genre: Sci-fi, Erotica
Release Date: 24th March 2015
Challenges: N/A
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Angel is a genetically enhanced human, created to be perfect in every way. When the Gran come to collect their slave clones, one of them sees Angel and insists that they have her too. But Angel is not a worker, and getting the Gran, catlike humanoid aliens, to accept that doesn't seem to work. Even running doesn't make her free of their attention, and Angel quickly found herself traded for the lives of others.

I had high hopes for Concubine on the sci-fi front, and there were several points where I thought that it might deliver. However I did end up feeling a little underwhelmed by the whole thing. I thought that the concept was there, and genetically engineered humans and the ethics surrounding it were explored a little bit, but could have done with more.

One thing that I really thought made me iffy on my feelings about this book was Angel's seeming obsession with two things; firstly with pain (and enjoying receiving it) and also with her apparent like of crushing delicate parts of the male anatomy during fights. I didn't think that it was actually necessary for that to happen once, never mind more than once.

I was also a little unsure about how the sex scenes were written. Angel liked sex and was happy to act on that, but I didn't think that the scenes themselves clicked into place for me.

I'm disappointed that this book didn't work for me, especially because I thought that it did have some potential.