Saturday, 31 October 2015

Dollhouse by Anya Allyn

Title: Dollhouse
Series: Dark Carousel (#1)
Author: Anya Allyn
From: Netgalley
Genre: Horror, Gothic
Release Date: 20th May 2014
Challenges: 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, My TBR List (October)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Whilst hiking in the forest, Cassie's friend Aisha goes missing. Now Aisha's boyfriend, Ethan, is in the firing line, but he is determined to find him. Cassie and her friend Lacey don't want to leave him to it alone and go to join him. Soon Cassie and Ethan discover the truth; a living dollhouse beneath Fiveash House where kidnapped girls are made to dress as dolls and live on the whim of Jessamine, a teenage girl who runs the dollhouse.

Horror is not a genre that I normally read much of, so I was definitely interested to see what I would make of Dollhouse. I enjoyed it but I do think its safe to say that horror is still a genre that I'm not planning on reading much of. I also can't fully decide how much I want to read the sequel. The book was left on a major cliffhanger and I still want to know what happened, but again its not massively my genre.

The creep factor in Dollhouse was most definitely there. There were dual elements of the psychological torture of the characters as well as the slight paranormal elements. The two tied together well to create a story that really had me willing the characters on while being seriously scared for their welfare (in some cases I do think that this is totally justified).

At times it was difficult to remember how old some of the characters were, their experience had matured them as it probably would, and other than Philly (who was 5) they didn't seem to be any less mature than an adult character would be. Saying that there were times when characters did act their age, namely Ethan, Aisha and Cassie and the whole jealousy situation.

There was what I would refer to as a couple of major twists in the plot, and though most of them were surprising, the major major one revolving around who the betrayer was, took me completely by surprise. The character in question was one that I did wonder at the whereabouts of but I'd dismissed as it being someone completely different.

This was a good read, not convinced that horror is my genre but this definitely gave me the chills!




Thanks to the lovely Michelle @ Because Reading for hosting! Each month we pick 3 books and get blog readers to pick which book we read. Then on the last Saturday of the month (the 26th this month!) the review gets posted.