Sunday, 25 October 2015

Traitorous Tudor Tales by Diana Strenka

Title: Traitorous Tudor Tales
Author: Diana Strenka
From: Smashwords
Genre: Historical Fiction, Flash fiction
Release Date: 18th October 2015
Challenges: N/A
Links: Goodreads - Smashwords

Traitorous Tudor Tales is a collection of flash fiction tales spanning the War of the Roses and the reign of Henry VIII. From Margaret Beaufort to Thomas Cromwell and Catherine Howard, the dangers and intrigue of the Tudor Court are brought to life.

I haven't read flash fiction before, if ever, and so I was definitely intrigued and enjoying the Tudor era I thought I would try it with Traitorous Tudor Tales (plus it was free on Smashwords). Having now read it I'm not sure what I think of the genre. I wasn't a big fan of how quickly the stories moved on, nor on how there was no real break between character changes. It often took me the entirety of the next story to figure out who was speaking and I didn't really like that.

Because of the shortness of the stories I didn't feel that the characters got any character development, and I know that this is an aspect of the genre. But with such rich historical characters as Margaret Beaufort, Elizabeth Woodville, Thomas Cromwell, Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard, I really didn't think that they were done justice in this case.

The writing itself was well done and I thought it was easy to read and flowed well (ignoring the problems I had with the genre) and I could see definite potential if the author was writing a longer piece of fiction.

There were also some interesting ideas touched upon, my favourite being the idea that Thomas Culpepper was blackmailing Catherine Howard for money rather than an affair. Again it wasn't really developed because of the length of the story, but I do think it sounded interesting.