Friday, 6 November 2015

Boss Girl by Nic Tatano

Title: Boss Girl
Author: Nic Tatano
From: Netgalley
Genre: Comedy
Release Date: 20th February 2014
Challenges: 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge 
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

When Sydney Hack needs to up the ratings or lose her job, she does the only thing she can think of and hires a younger man as an anchor, pairing him with a more experienced older woman. Of course this is after she "checks his references". When the ratings dramatically improve, she is given more responsibility, and soon along with her fellow executive producers, Jillian, Neely and Rica, she is in charge of launching a new channel completely based on older women and younger men as the anchor team. Little do they know what is just around the corner...

I'm genuinely a little unsure about my feelings on Boss Girl. The message in it is very clear; Older women are attracted to younger men. Some younger men are attracted to older women. Except I honestly don't get why there was such a big focus on it. You couldn't go a chapter without being reminded about it blatantly (as in the words were used that often, never mind the more subtle story arcs).

There are two reasons why I think this bugged me a bit. The first is that on British TV we really don't have the problem of 'blonde bimbo anchors'. Actually a lot of our news teams are close in age (and that is 30s-50s ish) so I didn't quite have the same 'wow big deal' factor. And I think the other issue was that not one of the characters said 'sorry no that's not for me' even though most of the characters were sleeping with each other. No one seemed to have a real issue with it at all and I didn't understand that.

Just to be clear, I have no problem with age gaps or women being older, or women sleeping around. I'd just have liked a little more variety in my characters.

I do worry that if I hadn't already read a Tatano book (Twitter Girl) then I may have been put off by Boss Girl. The writing is fantastic, laughs all over the place and I did really find myself wanting to know what would happen next; all of which saved this book for me.

The narration is a mix between anecdotes, live action and diary style, or at least that's the best way I can think of to describe it. It's all first person narrative from Sydney, and it flowed well but it was totally unique in style!

This was a fun read, still feel a little disappointed, but I'd still read another Tatano book, simply because of how funny they are!