Friday, 20 November 2015

Everealm by J D Wright

Title: Everealm
Series: Everealm (#1)
Author: J D Wright
From: Netgalley
Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: 31st October 2014
Challenges: 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge 
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

At 14, Bree has her first kiss with Rowan. At 16 she gives him far more. But when her parents, the King and Queen, find out they separate the two of them. But after seven years apart, when the death of her father and Bree's coronation brings them back together, they are still thinking of one another. When Bree's uncle, Silas, threatens her country, she enlists the help of the introverted ladies man and wizard, Dagan, and her new friend Sid, in order to help her.

Words! I need words! I'm not going to lie, what drew me to Everealm was it's cover, and what prompted me to read it straight away was seeing the sequel come up on Netgalley (yes I know its shameful!) but I'm so glad that happened because this was such a good read. It took me less than a day to read because I couldn't put it down! If I had to describe it I would say that Everealm was a bit like Game of Thrones crossed with softer fantasy and with a slight contemporary twist.

The contemporary twist isn't in the setting, but more to do with the language used. At first I wasn't sure that I liked it, but actually I think it worked well in making this book stand out. Words like 'sexy' made an appearance, and the younger couples (who were all around their mid-twenties, the MCs Bree and Rowan were 23 and 25 respectively...I think!) acted like New Adult couples in contemporary fiction just with way more awesome clothes (let's face it Bree is a Queen, she's allowed fancy frocks!)

There were a couple of plot twists, one of which hasn't actually been revealed yet but I have a strong feeling about, and the other main two took me completely by surprise. I love it when I can't see twists coming, and Everealm definitely gave me that.

I also loved that each of the characters brought something different to the plate. Though she was young, Bree didn't want to be useless and actually did things. Amazingly for a young female protagonist she actually listened to advice as well. Don't get me wrong she acted her age, but having a female character who like girl things and was capable was brilliant!

I loved this book, and I'm excited to see what's coming next!