Tuesday, 10 November 2015

Human by Milan Bakrania (DNF)

Title: Human
Author: Milan Bakrania
From: Netgalley
Genre: Sci-fi/Dystopia
Release Date: 28th February 2014
Challenges: N/A (due to DNF status, otherwise 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

(From Goodreads) Zenith has been 'dead' ever since his Uncle Ryan mysteriously disappeared when he was a child. Present day - Zenith is now 42 years old. The world is at the mercy of a relentless virus. His friend, Joy Irani, is missing. No one has seen him. It's all too familiar! But Zenith will stop at nothing to find him.A series of anonymous text messages leads him to a deserted village. Moments later, he finds himself on a boat heading into the open ocean...HUMAN is a week long account of an irritable cleaner from India as he sets out on a journey of a lifetime. From a bustling city to a place where the stars descend from the sky, it's going to be a week like no other!

So to be clear, I didn't finish this book. I did get to about half way through but then decided the book just wasn't holding my attention enough to warrant carrying on. The book isn't bad, and I can see how people would enjoy it, but it wasn't for me. However because I got to half way through I do feel I have enough to say to warrant a review. 

The narrative is interesting. Though it doesn't become completely clear until a bit of a way in that the main character, Zenith, is writing in a diary. To begin with I did just think it was some kind of inner monologue aimed at "Uncle Ryan" (though up until the point I got to it was never really made clear who Uncle Ryan was. 

From the description, and the way the virus comes across in the book I'd half expected there to be some kind of undead uprising, and though there are hints that maybe the dead wouldn't always stay dead, the virus actually seemed to have very little impact on what was going on. 

Then there was the disappearance of Zenith's friend Joy. I thought that it was going to turn out to be some kind of government disappearance or something else exciting, but for me the search just kind of dragged and there was a lot of going to temples to pray and hope for his return. 

All in all not for me. The POV style was interesting and what I read was well written though.