Tuesday, 24 November 2015

Kiss Kill Love Him Still by Jamie Blair & Dawn Rae Miller

Title: Kiss Kill Love Him Still
Author: Jamie Blair & Dawn Rae Miller
From: Netgalley
Genre: Crime, Contemporary
Release Date: 10th November 2015
Challenges: 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2015 New Release Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

When Jackson Landis turns up dead the women in his life start to worry about who was responsible for his death and if they had anything to do with it. More than that though, who has he told their secrets to? There's Val the closet lesbian, Reggie the campus drug dealer, Haddie the bookworm trading sex for papers, and Livie the kleptomaniac. Can they work out who the guilty party is before their secrets are aired.

I was really enjoying this book, there was a lot of mystery to be solved and secrets to come out. Then unfortunately the ending happened. And I really couldn't help but think that the ending really let down the whole book. I felt that this was one of those books where everything just stopped. It wasn't tied up in anyway and it really let it down for me.

However up until that point I'd been absolutely hooked on this book and had barely put it down (in fact I did finish it in one night) so I do think that it had potential. Each of the four narrators (Haddie, Val, Livie and Reggie) had their own voice and their own story to tell and it was interesting to see them interact with each other.

What I found the most interesting was that it wasn't necessarily the characters that I thought I would relate to that I found myself liking the most. On the surface I would have said that Haddie as the nerd would probably have appealed to me the most, but I actually found her kind of dislikable. On the other hand was Reggie, who I didn't think I would like but actually came across the best. Livie got a lot of sympathy from me and I wasn't really sure about Val. But I liked having such a diverse range of characters and feelings towards them.

This book is a bit like Gossip Girl or Pretty Little Liars crossed with a murder mystery (which actually kind of the plot to Pretty Little Liars come to think of it). And it really drew me in and was enjoyable, the ending just let it down a little bit for me.