Saturday, 21 November 2015

Lotus by C J Pinard

Title: Lotus
Series: Daughter of Darkness (#1)
Author: C J Pinard
From: Amazon
Genre: Paranormal
Release Date: 6th September 2015
Challenges: N/A
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Half-faery, half-vampire Lotus, has never met her parents and doesn't even know the name she was born with, but she hasn't let that stop her. Working in law enforcement she helps make the world a better place. but with a vampire serial killer on the loose and someone stalking her she has her work cut out...until a new lead takes her to Vegas and she discovers just who is after her...

I said after reading Jezebel that i was going to try the other sisters' first books before making a decision on the series (the first four; Jezebel, Lotus, Blair and Victoria are free) and I must say with Lotus things are looking up from how they were with Jezebel, so maybe this series can be saved!

Lotus was a strong heroine. She had a backstory that was quite moving at some points, and proved that she had come about her strength in a legitimate way. There was also a backstory to her career and why she did it. I thought she was a well rounded character in that regard. Though she could hold her own in a fight or other situation she did make mistakes which made her more likeable.

There were a lot of mysteries still left in Lotus. I think because I read Jezebel first I had a little more of a handle on what was going on with their father, but that could be the effect of the series. But I'm not overly convinced that I actually learnt anything new about Vlad in this book.

It was interesting seeing how faery powers worked and how that combined with Lotus' vampire side. I always find it interesting when authors have their own take on mythology.