Wednesday, 18 November 2015

The Golden Braid by Melanie Dickerson

Title: The Golden Braid
Series: Hagenheim (#6)
Author: Melanie Dickerson
From: Netgalley
Genre: Fairy Tale Retelling
Release Date: 17th November 2015
Challenges: 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2015 New Release Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Dragged around by her mother, Rapunzel has never been able to make friends and every time a man seems interested in her, her mother moves her on. When she saves a knight, Sir Gerek, on the road, she decides that it is time that she learnt to read and sneaks to the monastery where he is healing so he can teach her. As Rapunzel begins to take some of her life as her own she discovers the web of lies she's been told.

I love fairy tale retellings, and after having read a brilliant retelling of Rapunzel recently I was excited to read The Golden Braid. Unfortunately there was something about it that didn't make me go 'wow'. It was a decent read, but that was it, definitely no wow factor.

I think one of my major issues with The Golden Braid was the religious aspects. I can understand that religion was an important part of the setting but I wasn't keen on the way that Rapunzel, and Sir Gerek, focused on the scripture and were talked to by 'God'. To be clear I don't have a problem with religion, in fact I identify myself as a Christian, but I'm not too keen on it being 'preached' in books, a bit like this was. Saying that it wasn't too overwhelming or I would have stopped reading, however Christian fiction isn't something I choose to read and there was no real warning with this one.

The romance between Rapunzel and Sir Gerek was sweet and slow burning, which I always thought that added something to the book. Their relationship was one that started with them bickering and saying they didn't like each other and for that to then progress felt right.

This was written well and had a lot of the classic Rapunzel elements but it didn't flow quite well for me because of the religious elements really.