Wednesday, 4 November 2015

The Parasites by Marjorie DeLuca

Title: The Parasites
Series: The Iduna Project (#2)
Author: Marjorie DeLuca
From: Review Copy
Genre: Dystopia
Release Date:  14th June 2014
Challenges: 2015 Reading Assignment, 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Genetically engineered to be 19 forever, Paige is finally away from the corporation that would use her body to keep others young. And yet, even Carter City isn't as perfect as it seems; especially when Paige investigates and finds things she'd rather not. Sent on a mission with Junius, she infiltrates the Crime Lords of Sin City, and finds that the rumours about them may not all be true...

Oh the feels. It's been ages since I read The Forever Ones (book 1)  and yet it all came straight back. I was really really into The Parasites and I didn't actually want it to end (though of course it did). The ending itself was spot on, though it did take me a little by surprise even if I did suspect certain characters of plotting things.

Paige is a great character. She's old and young at the same time, and has a developing sense of purpose. I say developing because she's only recently escaped a life where her only real purpose was to have fun. But she is a well rounded character and I liked that.

Romance wise, Paige is inundated by men. Unfortunately I was rather cryptic in my review of The Forever Ones so can't remember exactly who I was rooting for her to be with in that book...though regardless I've now changed my mind. At the moment there is fellow Forever, Chase, Junius who pretended to be a Forever, and Antoine, the Crime Lord, who was a new addition this book.

I loved the contrast between Carter City and Sin City (still Las Vegas, just after the world was destroyed) and how different people had survived the end of the world. I thought it was really interesting to learn more about this society and I found myself a little unclear about who the bad guys were; though I guess that is the point! Everyone has bad in them.

I loved this book, and can't wait for the next one!