Monday, 14 December 2015

Abandon by Cassia Leo

Title: Abandon
Series: Shattered Hearts (#5)
Author: Cassia Leo
From: Netgalley
Genre: Romance
Release Date: 27th January 2014
Challenges: 2015 Reading Assignment Challenge, 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Tristan has always been a ladies man, never wanting to commit to anyone since his failed relationship with Ashley. But with the Grandmother who raised him sick, all she wants is for him to settle down. Senia and Tristan were always an inevitable fling, but when one fun moment in the car leads to a pregnancy things change. Tristan has to accept that he feels more for Senia, and she has to accept that he isn't the man she thought he was...

Abandon in one book made me feel so much more than the other three books I've read in Shattered Hearts. Don't get me wrong, Claire and Chris' story is sad, and had its moments where it moved me, but Abandon just managed to pack more of a punch. I had tears in my eyes at several points and felt anger and horror on behalf of the characters. It was such a roller coaster of emotions and I loved every minute of it.

Tristan was a combination of sweet guy, complete tool, and damaged little boy, and it all rounded out into a pretty solid character. He said things without meaning too (good things as well as bad) and made mistakes but it all made him seem human and I liked that.

I found it interesting learning some of Tristan's (and to a lesser extent Senia's) views on the Claire and Chris situation. The two of them in Bring Me Home were in a little bubble where they barely noticed anyone else, and having the other couple's perspective was interesting and made them a bit more real and grounded (Tristan and Senia didn't actually need it so much, I think they were both more grounded people to begin with.

The stories of Bring Me Home and Abandon overlap in several places (though from different POVs) which provides an interesting view as well as bringing something new to the story. I don't know why Senia and Tristan made more of an impression on me than Claire and Chris, but this is definitely my favourite book so far in the series!