Friday, 11 December 2015

Caged by Sophie Davis

Title: Caged
Series: The Talented Saga (#2)
Author: Sophie Davis
From: Review Copy
Genre: Sci-fi
Release Date: 26th April 2012
Challenges: 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 

Recovering from her failed solo mission is driving Talia crazy, that is until Mac enlists her to help hunt the potential spy that led to her capture and torture. Forced to assist her cheating ex-boyfriend Donovan in the classroom, as well as assisting on several other classes. Torn between her growing friendship with Donovan and her remaining feelings for Erik, Talia has to navigate the waters of romances as well as trying to uncover the truth of what was going on.

Having now finished Caged I feel a little guilty about leaving it so long after finishing Talented, because it was so good! Luckily Talented and it's plot came back to me really quickly so I was fine understanding what was going on which is great.

One of the big issues in this book for Talia personally was her love life. Now it's almost a bit love triangle ish, except that its not because there was only really one way it could go. I wasn't happy with Talia when she seemed to be letting Donovan back in (yep that's how involved I was getting!) And I got a little over excited when things went well with Erik, but he just seemed like such a good fit for Talia. Plus he didn't cheat on her.

I loved that Talia stayed strong throughout the book, even if she did have moments where she basically broke down (normally around people she could trust). She had very human emotions and acted on them like a teenager would do, which in itself is quite unusual for YA (I always feel that characters come across as much older than they are).

Now, the big twist/the spy. I didn't have any suspects at all for most of the book, it was the moment between Talia figuring out who it was and the actual reveal (I had to stop reading to do some washing up at that precise moment) that I figured out who it was. Interestingly I then remembered a lot of little clues that the author put in (and I'm sure Davis probably put some in Talented too if I was to re-read that) pointing towards the right person.

This was a great read, I'm looking forward to continuing the story, I'm just sorry it took me so long!