Friday, 25 December 2015

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J K Rowling

Title: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Series: Harry Potter (#2)
Author: J K Rowling
From: My bookshelves (my copy is 15years old!)
Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: 2nd July 1998
Challenges: 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

After his first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry Potter is disappointed that he hasn't had any letters from his friends. That is until he discovers a house elf, Dobby, has been stopping them in an attempt to stop him returning to Hogwarts. Once back at school, Harry soon finds himself embroiled in the mystery of the Chamber of Secrets, and the monster that is going around the school petrifying students and causing widespread panic...

To be transparent from the beginning, this is the review of a re-read. I can't remember the first time I read any of the Harry Potter books, but I do remember getting the first three for Christmas (so it's kind of fitting that this review falls on Christmas day!) I've re-read these books multiple times, but this is the first time I've re-read them in the past 6 years (at least).

One thing that shocked me was just how much foreshadowing was going on in this book. I think I missed it the other times I read because some of them were before book 7 came out, and because I was younger and not as aware of plot devices such as foreshadowing. I think it was very cleverly done.

 I also picked up on some smart moments from Ron, especially considering that he saw through Lockhart much earlier than anyone else. There were also a couple of moments where it was made clear that he was doing magic that was quite complex (like the slug spell) and I think its something about his character that is overlooked somewhat.

I loved re-reading Harry Potter. It is just as magical now as it was when I was a child, and I don't think anything can take away that part of my childhood. The books (and the films) and waiting for their releases really added to the magic of the story for me, but even now I find that the books just make me want to keep reading!