Tuesday, 15 December 2015

The Hordes of Anarchy by Saffron Bryant

Title: The Hordes of Anarchy
Series: The Lost Child Saga (#3)
Author: Saffron Bryant
From: Review Copy
Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: 27th September 2014
Challenges: 2015 Reading Assignment, 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (12 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

The Draconum are headed to war, alongside a lot of the other races of their land. They know that the fight is going to be tough, and that lives will be lost, but there is no other way. With Laila and Eros worried over the fate of their sorcerer friends, Sarin and Fervidious, there is just one more weight on the commander's shoulders. When the time comes can they put up the needed fight, or are they all doomed...

It took me a little while to get into The Hordes of Anarchy, but that is completely my own fault. It's been over 2 years since I read the previous book, The Herald of Darkness, and even longer since I read book 1, The Fallen Star, so the plots of those two were a little bit hazy. However at about 30% it all started slotting together in my head and I managed to actually recall bits of the plot (luckily!) and that really added to my enjoyment of the book.

Though Laila and Sarin (and their dragons) have been the main characters of the series, The Hordes of Anarchy actually was more like a series of interwoven stories of many different people. As a reader you learnt the back stories of several other characters as well as some seemingly unrelated tales. There was a lot of building up the world, though I did feel that some of it didn't necessarily add to the overall story arc, though was enjoyable none the less.

Now the ending. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. As soon as I finished The Hordes of Anarchy I text my reading-friend because I was kind of worked up about it. I'm not going to lie I'm a sucker for Happily Ever After, and though there were some elements of that in The Hordes of Anarchy, it was also a lot more complicated than that. The ending for several people was actually kind of sad.

I enjoyed reading The Hordes of Anarchy, still not sure about the ending, but I can see why the author chose to go with it, and the message about the cost of magic.