Saturday, 26 December 2015

Wildfire by JD Wright

Title: Wildfire
Series: Everealm (#2)
Author: J D Wright
From: Netgalley
Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: 1st September 2015
Challenges: 2015 New Release Challenge, 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, My TBR List Meme, 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Having saved her country from one threat, with a little help from her friends, Bree is now faced with another when Wizard's Wildfire is used to destroy neighboring land. Sidonie's powers are growing and she has no way to control them, even Dagan is concerned and on a search for her father she learns more than she could imagine.

I thought that Everealm, book 1, was brilliant, the right combination of modern romance, politics and a fantasy setting. But personally I thought that Wildfire was even better. The author has clearly developed their own view more and it really shows in the story, which I thought was richer and even more engaging than the previous book.

There are several romance stories entwined in the book, and it is often impossible to fully know who the main characters actually are. I have a definite soft spot for Bree (the reigning Queen) and Rowan, though I often wanted to bang their heads together for being so clueless about each other. However the twist that I expected regarding them in the previous book did turn out to be true, which did cause an inevitable argument.

Dagan and Sidonie's relationship had progressed alot from the first book, though a lot of their interactions were also focused more on the magic than anything else. This was definitely an interesting story line and revealed more information about the magic lore of Everealm which really added to the setting.

There was also the developing romance between Finn and Sidonie's sister, but now I'm slightly concerned for them. There was also the added drama of Reeve and Rhea, which I thought was a slightly predictable pairing but it worked well and each of them created their own problems.

I've loved this series so far and I am looking forward to Blood Moon!

I had a tie for my TBR list this month so I took the easy option and read them both!