Friday, 1 January 2016

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling

Title: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Series: Harry Potter (#3)
Author: JK Rowling
From: My bookshelves
Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: 8th July 1999
Challenges: 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

After accidentally using magic to blow up his Aunt Marge, Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry alongside his best friends, Ron and Hermione. Once there he discovers that the notorious criminal Sirius Black has escaped and not only that, but he may be after Harry. With his rivalry with Draco Malfoy at an all time high and heightened security around the school, this year is likely to be as eventful as his previous two.

Now I've started my Harry Potter re-reads I can't help but find myself just as engrossed as the first time I read (and the second and the third...etc.) I was actually surprised that the books engrossed me quite so much considering I've read them before, but there's just something about the world of Harry Potter that just draws you in.

All three of the main characters are growing up in this book, and I do think Rowling has picked out their age well (which is something I couldn't appreciate at the time because I hadn't been 13 yet when I first read!) There's the start of Harry's crush on Cho Chang, which I hadn't realised started quite this early, as well as the start of the tensions between the three friends.

I always thought that The Prisoner of Azkaban was the turning point of where the Harry Potter books started to get darker. This was where the working of the Ministry became more pronounced than in previous books, as well as the creatures getting darker.

I'm loving re-reading the Harry Potter series. It continues to be a magical classic in my eyes.