Monday, 18 January 2016

Manic by JA Huss

Title: Manic
Series: Rook and Ronin (#2)
Author: JA Huss
From: Rook and Ronin Box Set (Amazon)
Genre: Romance
Release Date: 1st August 2013
Challenges: 2016 Reading Assignment Challenge, 2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Having signed the STURGIS contract there is now nothing that Rook can do to avoid it, even if that means risking losing Ronin. With Antoine's niece, Clare, in rehab, Ronin is torn between helping his family and supporting Rook, and with his old friends turned enemies Spencer and Ford on the scene he is definitely worried. But things soon take a turn and it'll take all Ronin, Spencer and Ford have to save Rook from her past.

I want to read Panic now. Which is a potential problem considering the rest of Rook and Ronin is on my Reading Assignment list and I can't read anything off that until February now! But I think that tells a lot about the strength of the story and the characters; I want more from them.

Ronin as a character took me by surprise. He did in Tragic, but even more so in Manic. He has a lot of the tendencies towards being an alpha male but there is a much softer side to him that he doesn't even try to hide. He is honest with Rook about what he wants, and he's honest to himself about hurdles in that. Though Manic did reveal a little but of an unsavoury past, so it could be interesting to see how that effects the books to come.

I liked how Rook cultivated friendships with Spencer and Ford. They were obviously a little more complicated than "friendships" but I can't really think of a better word. Both of them opened up to her and as a reader it was interesting to learn more about them. There was the dual purpose in that of fueling Ronin's jealousy too, which certainly on Ford's part seemed to be purposeful. I liked the banter between them all, ,it worked well for me.

Rook really grew in this book too. From the beginning of Tragic it's clear that she has been through a lot and that she is just picking up the pieces of her life. So Manic let her grow more. She found some confidence as well as recognising her feelings for various characters. I liked that growth.

There was a touch of suspense towards the end of the book and that had me reading quicker and being desperate to know what would happen next. It worked well with the rest of the story as well as tying up some loose ends.

I loved Manic. Not that there was much doubt that I would! But it is definitely one to read!