Saturday, 2 January 2016

The Sea Queen by Jovee Winters

Title: The Sea Queen
Series: The Dark Queens (#1)
Author: Jovee Winters
From: Amazon
Genre: Fantasy, Romance
Release Date: 15th June 2015
Challenges: 2015 New Release Challenge , Winter COYER 2015 - 2016
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Calypso has lived a reclusive life for many years, away from the other Gods, Goddesses and their politics. That is until her waters are filled with the ghosts of the dead. Upon arrival in the Underworld she discovers Hades in chains and Persephone missing. Something draws her towards the God of the Dead and she offers to keep him her prisoner for two weeks...during which she plans to make as much use of him as possible...

I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. I've read some of the author's works (under other pen names) and enjoyed every one of them, so I had little doubt that I'd like The Sea Queen. I actually enjoyed this book more than I expected to, and I think that was largely down to the merging of mythology with a very modern writing style.

Calypso was a great character. With a background as a recluse, she wasn't that worldly in terms of the language she should be using or how she should be acting. And yet she had been watching others and how they interacted. It was an interesting combination of innocence and knowledge and it worked for me (though I don't think it could have been pulled off by all authors).

I did wonder at first how a romance with Hades could work if Persephone wasn't involved. But again I was proved wrong for worrying. I loved the way that the myth surround the two of them was woven into the story and changed in a way that meant it worked with Calypso moving into a romance with Hades.

I loved the modern update that the Gods had, particularly Aphrodite and Themis, both of whom seemed thoroughly modern and built relationships up with Calypso. I also liked the take on Hades, it wasn't quite the traditional stance but I liked it.

This was a great read, I'm looking forward to more in the series.