Sunday, 7 February 2016

A Single Girl's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse by JT Clay

Title: A Single Girl's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
Author: JT Clay
From: Netgalley
Genre: Zombie Fiction, Satire
Release Date: 1st November 2013
Challenges: Winter COYER 2015-2016, 2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2016 Blogger Shame
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

If there's one thing that Q is ready for it's the Zombie Apocalypse. From secret stashs in the school she teaches at, to creating her own martial art and remembering to pack a crow bar when going away. If there's one thing that Q isn't prepared for its being "normal" enough to bag a guy. When vegan, Rabbit, comes into her class she knows that she's found the man for her...now all she has to do is find out where he is and make him fall madly in love with her. Though as soon as she gets that plan in motion something else comes along...

I'm not really sure where I want to start with my feelings on A Single Girl's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse. At first I was almost ready to give up (though it did pull me in a bit more after that), then I was wondering just where the story was going, and by the end I was feeling a little bit preached to about veganism.

Veganism was a big part of the plot (particularly in the conclusion of the book, which had a twist that I didn't see coming but did fall a little flat for me). Several of the characters, including the love interest, Rabbit, were vegan and the apocalypse happened during a vegan retreat, which was interesting and added a very different dynamic to the apocalypse.

I liked Q, not sure I'd want her teaching any children I know as she had a rather unique teaching style, but she was fun and quirky. I think a lot of people could recognise a bit of themselves in her (and I will admit that post finishing the book me and my friend did discuss our Zombie plan). It was good having a quirky heroine.

I also liked the element of Q's friend Hannah. She was one of the kids in her class, but it was definitely interesting hearing a child's take on the apocalypse. Though at times I did think that she sounded way too old to be 6! Kind of creepily there were a few mentions of Lord of the Flies type behaviour too.

Still not too sure how I feel about this book over all.