Tuesday, 2 February 2016

Firefight by Brandon Sanderson

Title: Firefight
Series: The Reckoners (#2)
Author: Brandon Sanderson
From: Amazon
Genre: Sci-fi, YA
Release Date: 6th January 2015
Challenges: 2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 

Having defeated Steelheart, David and the other Reckoners have been keeping Newcago free of Epics. But now David has a new task. Along with Prof and Tia, he makes his way to Babylon Restored, formly New York, where water Epic Regalia reigns, and where the woman of David's dreams and Epic, Megan, is reported to have gone. With a new team about them, new Epics to research and a budding secret relationship, David has his hands full, even more so when he discovers that he is deathly afraid of water.

Having finished Firefight earlier today I'm really struggling with not picking up Calamity straight away, despite the fact that it breaks so many of my reading rules. While I didn't think that Firefight was quite as good as Steelheart in some respects, I still thought that it was a fantastic read and would definitely recommend the series. Part of me does think that one of the reasons Firefight was different for me was because I already knew what to expect from David, not that that detracted from him!

I'm not normally one to read male first person POVs (or if I do it's a dual with a female character) and so David was a bit different for me. But I really liked him. He's refreshing and funny and doesn't always get things right. Even when he did get things right he did it by accident and it was constantly entertaining to read.

I loved David and Megan's growing relationship. They bounce off each other well and there's a firm base for something more than friendship. I also liked that there was far more to it than Megan just being a love interest. She had a point in the story and that wasn't debateable. It was good seeing Megan showing more of a vulnerable side in Firefight too, especially after the tough exterior she put on in Steelheart.

There was more revealed about Epics in Firefight, and in true Sanderson style the lore is interesting and unique. There are still a few mysteries to be solved and I am eager to find out the answers, and that does include the fate of some of the characters.

I loved reading another Sanderson book. I'm never disappointed and each different series brings something new to the table!