Wednesday, 9 March 2016

Empire Rising by Cheyanne Young

Title: Empire Rising
Series: City of Legends (#3)
Author: Cheyanne Young
From: Netgalley
Genre: Sci-fi, Superhero
Release Date: 2nd February 2016
Challenges: 2016 New Release Challenge, 2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (12 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

*May contain spoilers for previous books in the series*

With their brother missing, Hereos Maci & Nova Knight want to bring him home. But with depowered villians suddenly having power again, and Felix still on the loose, there is more to deal with than just Max. But Maci is determined, and when she discovers that things may link in unexpected ways she is unstoppable...

I haven't quite read this series back to back, but it captivated me enough for me to read all three books within a month of each other, which I think says a lot considering how many books there are on my kindle! What I liked most about this series was that I was never too sure where it was going and I do like being taken by surprise.

I really liked that Maci was flawed. A lot of young first person narrators, particularly of the female variety, don't have enough faith in themselves about what they can do. Maci is actually the opposite. There were times where she did come across as quite arrogant, but I do think that helped make her a more real protaganist. She was far more complex than a lot of heroines I've come across and I genuinely believed that she was 18/19 (she was 18 at the beginning of book 1, but nearly 6 months passes between books 2 and 3 so it is possible Maci & Nova are either 19 or nearly 19 for some parts of Empire Rising).

Evan just grew on me more. I liked him as a character anyway, but I like him even more after Empire Rising, which could be because of Maci's growing feelings for him! I like that there's no love triangle or actual drama surrounding the two of them really. Maci and Evan's relationship is part of the story but not central to it and they both had important roles. I definitely liked how well integrated it was.

Nova and Maci's relationship also developed. It was a little strained as of the end of The Valiant, which was understandable given that they hadn't met before the first book and they're twins. But the getting to know you stage was over for them and they were falling more into a routine and into being a team. It moved the story along well and gave another dimension to the book.

This was a great series, I really enjoyed it! If you like superhereos then I would definitely recommend it!