Monday, 7 March 2016

Onyx by Alicia Michaels

Title: Onyx
Author: Alicia Micheals
From: Review Copy
Genre: Sci-fi, Retelling
Release Date: 3rd March 2016
Challenges: N/A
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

A YA Sci-f i Retelling of Othello

With the human race in the midst of a war, Major Onyx, the only member of his race still in existance, has caused waves on his space station, especially when it's revealed that he has secretly been married to the admiral's daughter Dia. But Onyx's enseign Isaias isn't happy with their happy marriage and is determined to break them apart and exact his own revenge on the man promoted above him...

I will start by saying that I'm not overly familiar with Othello, though I do like Shakespere and do know the basic plot, but the intricacies aren't as clear to me as those of Macbeth, Romeo & Juliet or Hamlet, all of which I studied at length! So my enjoyment of Shakespere, and my previous enjoyment on Alicia Michaels' work is what made me want to read Onyx and I'm glad I did!

Even though this is a novella I thought the complexity of the plot and the characters was extremely well executed, a testimony to both the author's skill and the strength of the original story. But even if Onyx was based on Shakespere, the author definitely made it her own, and even if you're less familiar with the story you can definitely enjoy it!

The sci-fi elements were good and wove into the story well. They were noticeable and important to the story, but not too extreme for the length or the style of the story. For me it was perfect, I enjoy a good level of sci-fi and the alien/technology levels were good.

The characters were complex and well developed. I thought that the journey they went on was believable (even if I already knew where they were heading!) and Michaels' writing means that you end up completely invested, particularly in Onyx and Dia's relationship.

I haven't read many Shakespere retellings but this one would definitely convince me that I should!