Friday, 1 April 2016

Rock by JA Huss

Title: Rock
Author: JA Huss
From: Amazon
Genre: Suspense, Romance
Release Date: 7th March 2016
Challenges: 2016 New Release Challenge, 2016 Read the Books You Buy 
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

RK has been exiled to Grand Lake, the town he grew up in, while the authorities investigate what happened to him and his bandmates which resulted in two of them badly injured and three of them dead. But Grand Lake is full of haunted memories for Rock, and with black outs happening whenever he gets close to the truth, it becomes increasingly urgent that he figures out what happened to his band mates, but also what happened on Prom Night...

How on earth do I review Rock without accidentally giving something away?!?!? As soon as I started reading (which was the first reading moment I'd had available after the end of Lent! I've never hated a book buying embargo more!) I knew that I couldn't stop, and that this was going to be one of those books where you can't put it down until the end.

There were a fair few twists, one of which was quite obvious from the beginning, though I'm not sure if that's just because I now have experience with Huss' writing and plot style! But it worked and added another level to RK's confusion. The later plot twists wwere much less obvious and I read several of them with wide eyes going "no way!".

A lot of the book centred around an identity crisis. This was both RK trying to work out if he was RK, Rock, Rowan Kyle, or all of them, and him trying to figure out some of the other characters in the book. It was interesting to see that for thee most part he seemed to trust his judgement about other people more than he did himself.

I wasn't sure what to make of RK in the beginning. As a person he was definitely messed up in his head, but as the story progressed he did become far more sympathetic and I ended up really liking him (a bit like I felt with one of Huss' other characters; Ford.)

There was romance in Rock, though the romance itself wasn't central. However there was a plot line centred around it (sorry I know that's a bit confusing but I'm trying not to give anything away!) For me it worked really well. The romance itself helped RK, but the drama around it really added to the story. Romance wise though I thought RK was really sweet, together the two of them were adorable.

I'm hoping this conveys just how much I loved Rock without giving anything away! I have my fingers crossed. This was a great read, though man does it mess with your head!