Wednesday, 29 June 2016

White Sand Volume 1 by Brandon Sanderson

Title: White Sand Volume 1
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Artists: Rik Moskin, Julius Gopez
From: Netgalley
Genre: Fantasy, Graphic Novel
Release Date: 29th June 2016
Challenges: 2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2016 New Release Challenge 
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Kenton is determined to prove himself as a Sand Master, even if he can only command one thread of sand. But when an invasion leaves Kenton as the only survivor he has to form an alliance with a Darksider named Khriss. But Khriss has secrets of her own, including that she's searching for sand mages.

I'll be completely honest; I've never read a graphic novel before. I'm not a very visually imaginative person really. I'd prefer to read something than to watch it, and I think that translates to graphic novels as well. The reason I decided to read this one is because it's Brandon Sanderson, and I love Brandon Sanderson so it was a pretty safe bet to go on.

I did enjoy it, maybe not as much as if I'd been reading a traditional novel, but the story came through and the artwork really did help illustrate what was going on. The artwork in the novel was fantastic, and even on my phone screen looked really detailed. It was clearly well thought out and adapted.

I'm definitely left wanting more though! I realise that because this is volume one there is nowhere near the full story in it, but that doesn't help! I love Sanderson's worlds and I want to know more about the characters already!

The magic system was yet again completely unique; I don't think I've ever read anything like it, but it worked and was sufficiently detailed to answer questions without bogging down the small amount of prose. One advantage of having the artwork though was that I could actually see how Sanderson intended the magic to work rather than imagining it in my head.

This was an enjoyable foray into graphic novels, and I would read the next one, though not convinced I'm in a massive hurry to try one that isn't linked to one of my favourite authors!