Sunday, 31 July 2016

Let it Snow by Erica Ridley

Title: Let it Snow
Author: Erica Ridley
From: Review Copy
Genre: Fantasy, Romance
Release Date: 13th December 2013
Challenges: Summer COYER 2016
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 
Synopsis (from Goodreads): Adventurer Lance Desmond needs to produce a fortune before his arch-rival collects the bounty on his head. He risks an ancient curse to retrieve treasure hidden within icebound Castle Cavanaugh, only to become trapped inside. Not with the gold he so desperately needs, but with medieval Princess Marigold who's been cooling her heels since... well, medieval times. The lonely princess refuses to acknowledge the blossoming attraction between them. Not just because she deserves a better future than a penniless rogue. But because at midnight, he'll vanish like all her other would-be heroes. And the evergreen in the parlor will have one more figurine hanging from its boughs...

I won't lie Let it Snow caught me completely off guard...it was not what I expected in the slightest! Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed it, but what I thought I was going to read was something along the historical fantasy/fairy tale lines, what I got instead was so much better. There was a great mix of old and new, and I thought that Ridley did a fantastic job of blending the two eras that the lead characters came from. Plus who doesn't love a medieval Princess having to learn how to play Candy Crush! (Or discovering the Kindle app!). 

The romance was both sweet and steamy, again balancing between the two eras of the main characters. There was definitely a fairy tale feel to it (after all the whole thing starts with a curse) and I think that makes me approach reading differently. I come to expect a bit of insta-love, and these two were definitely attracted to each other from the very beginning. 

There were very few characters in Let it Snow which worked well as it gave both Marigold and Lance a chance to develop themselves. I certainly felt that they were well rounded characters who were interesting to read about and explore Marigold's world with it. 

Let it Snow felt like a very satisfying read, especially as something light hearted (oh and Christmassy!) I'm very much hoping that the author has plans to tell us about more of Marigold and Lance's adventures in the future though!