Thursday, 28 July 2016

Song of Sparrows by JD Wright

Title: Song of Sparrows
Series: Songs of Everealm (#2)
Author: JD Wright
From: Blog Tour Review Copy
Genre: Fantasy, Romance
Release Date: 26th June 2016
Challenges: 2016 New Release Challenge, Summer COYER 2016, 2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 
Synopsis (from Goodreads): The journey across Everealm to find the magical stones has not come without its challenges. After being plagued by unwanted guests, disagreements, and accidents, Princess Sarita is beginning to wonder if her dream of gaining magic is a fantasy that can't come true. Along the way, new friends and rekindled sparks between old flames have caused quite a stir within the group. As a new wizard joins the effort and gives the princess a reason to continue, the quest for the next stone ensues...As the sun rises over the ridge, our story continues into the Song of Sparrows!

My first thought after finishing Song of Sparrows was "NO NOT THERE!" I honestly didn't want the book to end, and I hope that it isn't too long until Song of Sorrow, because I have so many unanswered questions! That and the book stopped before a Winter's Ball, and having read Everealm I know those always tend to be dramatic!

I may have ended up doing a happy dance half way through Song of Sparrows because I called one of the budding relationships. There were two characters that seemed to be rubbing each other up the wrong way, and yet there was something about them that said to me that they'd end up together...so happy dance when it became apparent they were heading that way...in typical topsy turvy Everealm way!

Now Sarita and Cassidy...those two have been so cute from their first moment together (when they were just kids), but now their relationship is way more than that. Though it does seem to be a bit of a rocky path for the two of them, I have very little doubt that they'll work it out in the end...though I have no idea on the actual how! But Song of Sparrows definitely convinced me on how they feel for each other.

Gabby and Oliver also seemed to take steps forward in this book, particularly compared with how they were in Song of Sovereign, though again I don't think there's any doubt that they have a way to travel still. That's one of the things I love about these books, the romances aren't quite as clean cut as most books and couples still have their issues even when they are together.

It was good seeing more of Jake in this book, as he was only introduced on the periphery in Song of Sovereign. There was also a set up for some of the other characters from the previous series coming back, including Jolene, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how the events of Song of Sorrow turn out for her.

As I said in my review of Song of Sovereign, this book is definitely more enjoyable if you know the background from the Everealm series. Its the little things like knowing about Sabras and how the magic works in more detail. You also defnitely need to have read book 1 in this series for Song of Sparrows as it is a continuation.

I'm loving this series already, and can't wait for more!