Monday, 8 August 2016

Merm-8 by Eric J Juneau

Title: Merm-8
Author: Eric J Juneau
From: Netgalley
Genre: Paranormal, Sci-fi, Fantasy
Release Date: 30th July 2016
Challenges: 2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2016 New Release Challenge, Summer COYER 2016
Links: Goodreads 
Synopsis (from Netgalley): Gene, a mariner-for-hire, just found a mermaid trapped in his ship's intake port. After ocean levels rose, Gene thought scavenging the flooded Earth would be a decent living. But he never expected this. Where did she come from? Why won’t she go back in the water? Is she a product of genetic engineering or the real thing? And when the world discovers a real fantasy creature, chaos erupts. Corporations want to exploit her. Old friends want to capitalize on her fame. Marauders are sinking any ships that get in their way of her. As her only friend, Gene must save them both by returning her home. But the trip back involves diving into a world of more than just mermaids. And a secret that, in the wrong hands, could destroy the remainder of mankind.

I enjoyed Merm-8 and wanted to know the ins and the outs of the story but I didn't find myself fully engrossed in the tale. Genre wise it was fantasy with a few sci-fi/dystopia elements thrown into the setting. The genres worked well together and at no point did I think they were clashing against each other. 

Gene and Ginger (the mermaid) were okay characters for me. I cared what happened to the mbut wasn't overly invested. However the ending did still get me, I did get slightly emotional. There were definitely a few twists and turns in the plot towards the end that had me viewing Gene in a different way, though maybe if they'd happened earlier then I'd have felt more of an attachment towards him as a character. 

I liked that Ginger had to be taught things like speech (well the English language to be more specific, Her early attempts to communicate with Gene were interesting, but their growing friendship (and slightly amourous feelings towards each other) really kicked up a notch when she started to be able to speak to him. 

The mystery of where Ginger came from, especially after the first big twist, kept me working as the book progressed, and I thought that it was answered well when it was revealed. The place she came from was definitely well developed and I enjoyed Gene's adventures there. 

This was an interesting read, and definitely had some elements of The Little Mermaid story (the original, though the Disney version does make a great appearance at one stage!)