Saturday, 20 August 2016

Too Sinful to Deny by Erica Ridley

Title: Too Sinful to Deny
Series: Scoundrels & Secrets (#2)
Author: Erica Ridley
From: Netgalley
Genre: Historical Romance
Release Date: 19th July 2016
Challenges: 2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2016 New Release Challenge, Summer COYER 2016, 2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 
Synopsis (from Goodreads): TOO TEMPTING TO OBJECT...One look at the towering ocean-side manor that is to be her new home, and exiled socialite Susan Stanton knows: This is a place haunted by secrets and riddled with menace. For Susan, there is no escaping it. At best she can stay clear of the most dangerous element of all--dark-haired smuggler Evan Bothwick, a man whose shaded countenance cannot hide his wicked intent. But Susan has a secret of her own--a special gift that renders her privy to the darkest mysteries lurking within the walls of the manor and in the labyrinthine cellars beneath. And the only man who can help her make sense of it all is Evan, the very scoundrel and rogue she would do anything to be able to resist...

I was really looking forward to reading Too Sinful to Deny after really enjoying Too Wicked to Kiss and while I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I enjoyed the first book, it was still a fantastic read. Too Sinful to Deny had some minor paranormal elements like the first book and had the same gothic feel to it. I love the Gothic genre anyway, so having that paired with a modern writer that I really like has worked well for me. 

Susan was a returning character from the first book, though there was definitely more to her in this one. That was probably since there was more from her own point of view in this rather than from the characters who found her a little bit in the way. She grew on me a lot throughout the book and by the end I definitely liked her as much as I liked Evangeline in Too Wicked to Kiss

Evan was clearly a more decent man than even he thought he was, but through the book he did manage to continually convince the reader of that...even if he made other characters work to get to that realisation. 

The chemistry between the two leads was incrediable and I found myself truly believing it. They didn't try and outright deny it to themselves either, though they did try to convince themselves that it would pass. It felt like there was a bit more substance to their relationship than a lot of book couples get. 

The mystery, which was introduced almost straight away, was complex and kept me guessing. I don't think I'd ever have managed to guess the culprit before things started slotting together and I like it when books keep me guessing, it adds to the experience for me. 

I'm loving this series from Erica Ridley, definitely different from her other stuff I've read!