Thursday, 15 September 2016

Incite by Erica Crouch

Title: Incite
Series: Ignite (#2)
Author: Erica Crouch
From: Netgalley
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Release Date: 17th February 2015
Challenges: 2016 Blogger Shame, Summer COYER 2016, 2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2016 Reading Assignment, 2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 
Synopsis (from Goodreads); Earth is in ruins, and the war of Heaven and Hell has spilled over into the mortal world. In the frozen wasteland of the apocalypse, Azael and his band of cohorts search for Pen and Michael with orders to kill. Little does he know that his sister has incited a rebel army of her own. Angels and demons alike stand side by side, ready and willing to fight for a future they didn’t realize they could have. Change doesn't come easy, though. Pen is wary of joining New Genesis's revolution, but when Azael shows his hand and Pen learns all that he holds over them, she chooses to fight back, no matter the risk. She only has to survive, one hour at a time.

Incite should not be read as a standalone. The events in the book follow on from the events of book 1, Ignite, and while it is not necessary to read the inbetween novella, Entice, it does give some interesting background. This review may contain minor spoilers for book 1. 

This is fast turning into one of those series that I regret not reading sooner. It's fast paced with a very interesting mythology and great characters. The mythology is one of the things I liked the most though. Whereas the main focus is on Christian myths and legends, the author has chosen  to integrate other mythology into it as well, including Greek (one of the demons was the basis of the Persephone legend and one of the angels was the basis of the legends of Mulan). 

While I loved Pen to bits, just like in the previous book, I wasn't so sure about Azeal and his POV. He seemed very introspective, especially about his relationship with Pen. But because of his character I didn't think that there was much redeemable about him. Maybe I'll be proved wrong but at the moment he's a character I'm loving to hate. 

Pen definitely developed as a character in this book. While she still seems to be consumed by the guilt of what she did after she fell from Heaven, she seemed to be more thoughtful and determined when it came to what to do about the end of the world. There was also a lot of revelations within herself, particularly relating to who Azeal really is. I also have a theory about what is happening to her, but I think I'll have to wait til book 3 to find out for sure! 

There were new characters introduced in this book, and there were some on both sides that I quite liked. I'm not sure how the demon Aym is going to turn out in the end, or the demon whose name I'm not even going to try to spell but is the one linked to Perspehone, but I thought they were intriguing characters with a part to play in future. I'm also looking forward to learning more about Kala and Ana, as well as their relationship. 

I loved Incite, and I can't wait for more in the series!