Tuesday, 13 September 2016

Shadow Reaper by Amos Cassidy

Title: Shadow Reaper
Series: Shadowland (#1)
Author: Amos Cassidy
From: Kindle Scout
Genre: Apocalyptic, Fantasy
Release Date: 13th September 2016
Challenges: 2016 New Release Challenge, Summer COYER 2016
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 
Synopsis (from Goodreads): Only the bravest go over the Horizon...Twenty years ago the barriers between worlds came down and our reality was swallowed up by the Shadowlands. Now we scavenge to survive, until one day there’s nothing left to reap. Starvation is around the corner, but I’m not the roll over and wait-to-die kinda girl. Nope, I’m going further than anyone has ever been and returned to tell the tale. I’m going into the Beyond, and I’m not coming back without a solution. Dark urban fantasy with a post-apocalyptic twist.

I think I have a new favourite Amos Cassidy book...there was just something about this one! It combined all the best bits of their Urban Fantasy books with an interesting apocalyptic twist like in Aurora but completely unique. I was completely captivated from the moment I started reading, and though I never doubted I'd like this book, I was completely taken in by it in a way that very few books manage. 

I loved the POV changes, I did read another book recently that alternated between first person and third person for different characters and thought it was an interesting take. This takes it to another level partly because the two POVs you get are those of twins. 

From the start it was clear just how strong a bond Clay and Ash have, which is completely reasonable considering how they grew up in a world where destruction is a regular thing. But even in the apocalypse they have their own routines. The people have jobs, relationships and friendships and I think that was one of the things that really made this book for me. 

There isn't really any traditional romance elements in this book, or at least not simple ones. The twins are 19 and Ash comes across as any 19 year old does (her's is the first person POV), she's interested and thinks about sex but her thoughts don't just centre around one person, she was fluid in that regard and a couple of love interests did look like they could happen. Two I think were pretty much dealt with by plot twists, and the third one I liked because of the other things surrounding their relationship. Clay on the other hand is in a relationship at the start of the book with fellow surviver, Blake, though their relationship does have its own problems. 

Genre wise I'd say it was quite difficult to classify, there's quite heavy use of a magic system as well as other realms being a main theme, but there was also an end of days type scenario. I liked that the various elements of each genre blended together and created something unique and compelling. 

Just in case you hadn't guessed from my rambling...I really liked this book and can't wait for more from this series!