Friday, 28 October 2016

Cocky Cowboy by Faleena Hopkins (#3 Cocker Brothers of Atlanta)

Title: Cocky Cowboy
Series: Cocker Brothers of Atlanta (#3)
Author: Faleena Hopkins
From: Amazon
Genre: Romance
Release Date: 11th September 2016
Challenges: 2016 Read the Books You Buy2016 New Release Challenge2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 
Synopsis (from Goodreads): JAXSON: Can you really find your soulmate when you're only eight years old...only to lose her two years later and never know what happened ? No way. It can't be...Yes, it's her... Getting kissed long and slow by that city boy douche-bag is Rachel Sawyer, my best friend and secret love, back when I was just a boy. The only girl who could ever hold my interest past a minute. I want to punch that guy for touching her like that...and I just might. But I've got a ranch and live a quiet existence until I saw her. There's no way I can compete with her flashy New York City life.I don't care. If I don't steal Rachel away from that dick, I'll never have another chance. I won't lose her. Not to him. Not to New York. Not to anyone. Not again. RACHEL: As Ryan answers yet another work email, I spy a gorgeous man intently staring at me, emerald green eyes daring me to remember him. Oh my God it's him...my first kiss... The one who always got me into trouble is now trouble-incarnate. Jaxson Cocker. All grown up into the rugged and masculine drop-your-panties-at-the-door kind of sexy. But I love Ryan...so why the hell am I walking toward Jaxson like he's a magnet and I'm metal? We're no longer the innocent children we used to be. That chemistry we once had has ripened into something dangerous. I want him to touch me, but I shouldn't. I want him to kiss me, but I shouldn't. Just because Ryan said those horrible things...doesn't mean I have the right to do this. Does it?! Why is it some men have the power to make you do things you never dreamed you'd do? Do you follow your heart or your head?

Cocky Cowboy is the third book in the Cocker Brothers of Atlanta series, but the romance between Jaxon and Rachel could easily be read as a standalone. Reading the previous two books in the series, Cocky Roomie and Cocky Biker, gives you a background for the family and some of the other characters but the events aren't relied upon in this book. This review is spoiler free. 

I'm not really too sure where I actually want to start with this review, mainly because the points I want to make are all bouncing around my head in a giddy way. I finished reading a quite heavy going book (Splinter the Silence, a crime/thriller) and wanted something that I knew would be romantic and easy going, and that's where one of Hopkins' books fit the bill, and especially with the next in the series coming out the same week (fyi it's been a few weeks between reading and my review posting on my blog) I figured that Cocky Cowboy was the way to go. 

The chemistry between Rachel and Jaxon was intense, not so much in the flashbacks to when they were children, they were just sweet, but as adults it was really something! But their relationship was so much more than that. The two of them talked to each other and had interests in common, but also there was an emotional support there despite their years apart. 

There was a definite twist in this book that I did not see coming. Even knowing how it would turn out (because this is a romance and there really only was one way it could without things turning a bit odd) it was still a shocking turn of events, and paired with the later heartbreak for Rachel, it really made the two of them work at their relationship. 

I loved Rachel and Jaxon's story. They were well suited to one another and that really came through!