Wednesday, 26 October 2016

Concealed by Christina Bauer (#2 Beholder)

Title: Concealed
Series: Beholder (#2)
Author: Christina Bauer
From: Netgalley
Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: 25th October 2016
Challenges: 2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge,2016 New Release Challenge2016 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 
Synopsis (from Goodreads): As a Grand Mistress Necromancer, Elea’s a witch who commands the ultimate power over spirit and bone. It’s magic that she’ll need in order to stop the Vicomte Gaspard from killing her Sisters by draining their magic along with their life force. To find and free her fellow witches, Elea must venture into some of the most dangerous places in the realm. What starts off as a rescue quest could easily turn into a suicide mission. And with the handsome warlock Rowan along to help, Elea may be risking more than her life. Her growing feelings for Rowan might put her heart on the line, too.  

Concealed is the second book in the Beholder series, and while it follows on from Cursed, you could possibly read it as a standalone. However I do think that it is better to read the series from the beginning as it introduces several of the characters and gives a background to why Elea was doing what she was doing. This review may contain minor spoilers for Cursed.

I like Elea, though she doesn't quite have Myla's (Bauer's heroine from Angelbound Origins) pizazz in my eyes, she was strong and determined. She also had a more fallable side that made her human and the book more interesting. I liked how she tried to cling onto the necromancer way and how she was trained, and yet she accepted that it might not be the right way.

The ending...well my heart broke for Elea. I saw the twist coming from quite early on, well kind of, I saw the heartbreaking bit coming, but it was still well done. Part of me worries more about Elea's future with her friend Amelia than with the other person involved though (I'm sure they'll work it out). I liked seeing Elea form friendships other than with Ada (her motivation throughout the book).

Now Philippe...not all too sure how I feel about him. He wasn't a bad character, in fact he was interesting and intrigueing, it was more what him being a character could end up meaning for Elea. I think the issue could be that there is already a love interest firmly cemented from the previous book, and I like Rowan, so I don't want someone coming in and messing it up for Elea.

I'm super intrigued about what is to come next, especially now that certain things are resolved!