Saturday, 15 October 2016

Immortal Ops by Mandy M Roth (#1 Immortal Ops)

Title: Immortal Ops
Series: Immortal Ops (#1)
Author: Mandy M Roth
From: Review Copy
Genre: Paranormal, Urban Fantasy, Romance
Release Date: June 2004
Challenges: Summer COYER 2016
Links: Goodreads 
Synopsis (from Goodreads): Captain Lukian Vlakhusha is having issues with his newest target, Peren Matthews. Something about her has left him staring at her picture and wondering what it would be like to touch her soft skin. When the time comes for the team to strike, Lukian senses danger and aborts the mission. He makes an attempt at meeting Peren and is set in his place by an independent young woman who knows what she is, and isn’t, looking for in a man. Lukian is having trouble telling Peren that he’s what she fears most, a werewolf. Can they make the passion that burns between them last, or will Lukian’s condition be too much for Peren?

This is the first book in the Immortal Ops series, though not the first one that I've read, and I can say that it is better to read them in order! There are several linked series and they have cross over characters, but I would recommend starting with this one. 

There was good chemistry between Peren and Lukian, but the two of them didn't just focus on that. Peren had her past to keep in check and Lukian was in the middle of a mission, even if it turned out that his mission wasn't quite what it should have been. 

I found myself making theories about who was behind the orders, and who was behind the attacks on Peren, and while I was partly right about one tiny detail, the actual reveal took me completely by surprise (in this was I wasn't spoiled by later books, particularly because there was no doubt that Peren and Lukian would end up together). 

While I'd already read books in the Immortal Ops world, I thought that this book explained the agency well, as well as how the supernatural world surrounding it. It was a great introduction and it just added to the world for me!

Another great read from Mandy M Roth!