Friday, 14 October 2016

Take the Body and Run by Jada Ryker

Title: Take the Body and Run
Author: Jada Ryker
From: Kindle Scout
Genre: Chick Lit, Mystery
Release Date: 20th September 2016
Challenges:  2016 New Release Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 
Synopsis (from Goodreads): 2016 Kindle Scout Winner. Macey's first day in the college employee relations department ends with a knife at her throat. Macey is certain things can't get any worse. She's wrong. An angry employee vows to put her on an online hit list. When he turns up dead, she's a suspect--and on the hit list. To keep her secrets and her life, Macey partners with two unexpected allies who cause her pulse to race with steamy attraction--and exasperating annoyance. Vince, a handsome, driven lawman, digs up more than just clues to the brutal murder. Brett, a fun-loving pathologist with a deadly sense of humor, drives everyone crazy with his fart machine-will travel. Macey's supersized black cat Wikket, possessing courage, curiosity, and crankiness in equal portions, assists in his own grumpy, feline fashion, golden eyes open and claws extended.

I'm not all that sure how I feel about Take the Body and Run yet. I was really looking forward to reading it because I have enjoyed chick lit mysteries before, though I am starting to wonder if they're really for me. However on the flip side I had two theories about who was guilty during the book and they were both wrong, so the big reveal did manage to take me by surprise. 

Macey had a past and it was clear from the very beginning that that was the case. However that past was a lot darker than I expected and I was slightly surprised by how it was resolved. On that note though I thought that the resolution did leave room for more potential Macey books. 

There was an intro to all the characters in the book at the start and I will admit to being a tiny bit confused by it at first, I worried that I'd missed a previous book that introduced them all but instead it was just about the characters that Macey meets from the start of Take the Body and Run

There was a minor love triangle going on, I say minor because beyond the characters being attracted to one another, and about two brief instances of acting on that. I liked that there wasn't much focus on the love element when everything else was going on, and I think that Macey ended up with the right one...though the other ones ending I wasn't quite so enthustastic about. 

I enjoyed reading this but it didn't blow me away.