Tuesday, 20 December 2016

Brass Automaton by Mark Gardner & D Paul Angel (#1 Clockwork Tales)

Title: Brass Automaton
Series: Clockwork Tales (#1)
Author: Mark Gardner & D Paul Angel
From: Netgalley
Genre: Steampunk, Fairy Tale Retelling
Release Date: 27th September 2016
Challenges: 2016 New Release Challenge2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 
Synopsis (from Goodreads): "This story happened when His Majesty was still a young man, a huntsman to be precise. It is the tale of a clockwork machine from the future, with a mission to terminate His Majesty to prevent him from meeting his future queen." Jarvis paused for effect. "Then, she was known only as Snow White."

I will admit that there was a little bit of "ooo look at the cover!" going on when I chose Brass Automaton to read. Though the other main factor is that I'd been thinking that I hadn't read anything with steampunk overtones in a while, and that I should do. Plus, fairy tale retelling, this is just winning. 

I went through a bit of a journey while reading Brass Automaton though. At first, I was really intrigued, then I was very confused, and finally it all slotted together and I had the "oooh" moment. I could probably have done without quite so much confusion in the middle, but once I got my head around the magic system it was okay.

Even before the book starts it pitches itself as a combination of the Terminator and Snow White, and I think that the first chapter of this really showed it. This worked surprisingly well, and I thought that the authors worked the time travel element in well.

I liked that Snow White was a strong character. It's always better when that's the case! In fact, the royal couple worked well throughout the book. They both had an inner strength right from the first few chapters and that added to the story.

This was an enjoyable retelling, I'll be looking out for more, though surprisingly complex for a shorter book!