Thursday, 22 December 2016

Gilded Cage by Sherry D Ficklin (Canary Club)

Title: Gilded Cage
Series: The Canary Club
Author: Sherry D Ficklin
From: Netgalley
Genre: Historical Fiction
Release Date: 1st December 2016
Challenges: Winter COYER 2016-2017 2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon
Synopsis (from Goodreads): Masie, the flaxen-haired daughter of notorious boot-legger Dutch Schultz, returns home from boarding school to find her family in crisis. Her mother is dangerously unstable, her father’s empire is on the brink of ruin, and the boy she once loved has become a ruthless killer for hire. To keep her family’s dangerous secrets Masie is forced into a lie that will change the course of her future—and leave her trapped in a gilded cage of her own making. As she watches her world fall apart, Masie must decide whether to take her place in the hierarchy, or spread her wings, leaving the people she loves, and the life she despises, far behind her. Two worlds collide in Gatsby era New York, in a time of dazzling speakeasies and vicious shoot-outs, of gritty gangsters and iridescent ingĂ©nues, where not everything that sparkles is gold.

I haven't read many books set in this era, unless you count The Great Gatsby, but honestly I loathe that book so let's not. However, I have read books from Ficklin before, and her Queen of Someday books were really stand out from my reading last year. Which is actually the main reason that I decided to read Gilded Cage. And I am glad that I did. 

This is only a quick read, but the way that Ficklin captured the age, with all the glitz and glammer, yet with the seedy underworld too, was fantastic. I really felt drawn into Masie's world. Even if I couldn't work out how old the main character was! (I'm assuming 18). 

The characters were odd for me. I couldn't work out if I was supposed to like some of them or not. This was particularly true of Masie's love interest (which I think ended the right way) and her brother. They were both potentially bad people, but the way they treated Masie made them likable. It was definitely an interesting combination! 

This was a great quick read, it really captured the age well and I look forward to reading more in the series!